Kuby, born in 1941, first learned the job of the toolmaker before finishing his A-Level at evening school, and studied industrial design in Chicago, Ulm and London. From 1973 to 1976, he worked as a planner for the study programs work theory and politics at the University of Bremen and developed early examples of adapted technology for the developing countries in the early 1970s. In 1977, GTZ (the German Association for Technical Cooperation) sent him as a consultant to the World Bank. He recently worked in the GTZ internal evaluation team. Since 2006, the year of his retirement, Kuby has been working as a freelance artistic designer in Bremen.
For the inauguration of the new headquarters of the GTZ in Eschborn he created his 6.30 m high stainless steel sculpture “Flexion”, which stands in front of the modern office building. For him the work of art symbolizes the momentum of the company, the flexibility of its instruments and the quality of its work.